Name:
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, United States

Mother of 3, grandmother of 3. Compulsive writer. Single, not especially "looking."

Thursday, March 29, 2007

April -- The Month of the Military Child

I recently read somewhere that April has been designated The Month of the Military Child.

Cool. It's about time we got some recognition. As Pat Conroy said in his intro to Mary Edwards Wertsch's book, Military Brats: Legacies of Childhood Inside the Fortress: We were drafted at birth.

And those traits that we adapted while our military fathers (and increasingly now, our mothers) were serving our country still stick with us.....the unquestioning obedience to our fathers/mothers. The observing of certain rituals, such as stopping the car, exiting, turning in the direction of the flag as Retreat sounded each evening at 5:00. I still almost reflexively salute the flag at that time of day.

So I'm wondering about this Month of the Military Child -- What is the protocol? I mean, what do we do to celebrate/commemorate during this month?

Do we hold a festival of some kind? Do we go to the nearest military installation and salute the flag as it's lowered?

Anybody have any information? I certainly want/need my Marching Orders.

If I find out anything, I'll let you know. And if you find out anything, please post your comment(s).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home